Staff were at the spit beach in Sand Point collecting clams and mussels for PSP testing. After collecting the shellfish, a staff member reported their fingers were red, tingly, and extreme swelling (painfully so, and remain sore for a few days following). The following week, the same staff member was collecting mussels and reported definite redness and slight swelling in their fingers, and well as tingling. When asked if the individual was allergic to shellfish, they reported they were not sure.
LEO Network Editors Comment:
This is the first observation in the LEO Network about a skin reaction to shellfish, or other marine environment related exposures. We do wonder if marine toxins might be a possible reason for this reaction, as this has been documented in other places outside of Alaska.